Spider veins - Varicose veins
Enjoy again a clear skin
What are spider veins?
They are small blood vessels (0.5 – 1 mm in diameter), with red or purplish colour, which are close to surface of the skin. These were normal superficial vessels, which for various reasons have become dilated and visible. They are the result of damaged valves in the leg veins, which do not allow the blood to have a regular flow. Therefore, the blood regresses causing dilation of the superficial vessels of the skin.
They are more common in women, although they affect men too and is estimated that they appear in 30-60% of the adult population. Spider veins may appear anywhere on the body, however spider veins on legs are much more frequent and usually appear around ankles and lower legs. On the face, spider veins appear mainly on the nose and cheeks.
No, spider veins are veins, which are smaller in diameter and closer to the surface of the skin. Varicose veins are larger diameter veins, originating from poor blood circulation, through the venous network. Spider veins usually coexist with varicose veins.
The development of particularly intense spider veins, around the ankle, is characteristic and happens because of the presence of varicose veins and venous hypertension, which is indicative of a disorder in the bloodstream.
Sudden appearance of many spider veins on the face and body, should immediately guide us, to suspect a pathological cause. If that is the case for you, you should make an appointment, in order to have special diagnostic tests, for investigating the cause. The appearance of many spider veins on the body, chest, back and abdomen may be associated with liver dysfunction for example.
Of course, there are also other, less dangerous factors associated with the appearance of spider veins and below we list some of them:
- Previous history of thrombosis
- Taking contraceptives
- Hormonal changes during puberty or menopause
- Standing up for many hours
- Use tight clothing or corsets
- Prolonged exposure to the sun, especially when the skin is fair
In Derm & Plastic Surgery Clinic, we assess first your problem and then we discuss with you, the best method to treat the spider veins, either on your face or on your legs, after we rule out any pathological cause.
There are two types of spider veins treatment, Sclerotherapy and Laser. While both treatments can be applied to the feet (usually in combination), facial spider veins are only treated with Laser.
Sclerotherapy is the most common and popular treatment for spider veins on legs. The treatment is done, by injecting a specific substance into the veins, which causes controlled damage to the venous wall and blood clotting within the vein, resulting eventually in their destruction and absorption, by the body cells.
Modern sclerotherapy is extremely safe, practically with no complications and can be combined with laser treatment, with excellent results. After sclerotherapy, it is necessary to use compression stockings for 14 days. A typical regime, for the treatment of spider veins on both legs, requires 2-6 sessions, depending on the case. The interval between sessions should be usually 1 month and these treatments are better to be done during winter time.
Spider veins laser therapy, is an excellent treatment, done with a state-of-art Nd-Yag Laser, whose light beam targets selectively the vessels, recognizes blood hemoglobin in blood vessels and does not harm the surrounding area. This targeted heat into the vessel, gradually destroys it, which consequently is absorbed by the body. Due to the cooling mechanism of the laser device, the treatment is painless and you can return immediately to your daily activities. Sessions last about 15 to 20 minutes.
The laser treatment for spider veins is particularly effective, provided it is applied to the right vessels. The larger diameter veins, feed with blood the more superficial seated, spider veins. Therefore, the onset of treatment from these larger veins first, is extremely important, as then the feeding of the spider veins is interrupted. It should be emphasized that the direct treatment of the spider veins with the laser, without treating first the larger veins that feed them, is wrong and will lead to poor results.
Considering that the larger veins are under the skin, it is difficult for the laser beam to reach them, because its energy can’t reach so deep. These larger veins should be treated first with sclerotherapy and then we continue with laser treatment of spider veins. This is one of the main reasons, why laser treatment of spider veins, on its own, is in some cases insufficient and should be combined with sclerotherapy, to produce better results.
The laser treatment for legs, it might take from 2 to 5 sessions, while the laser treatment for spider veins on face, usually requires 1 to 3 sessions.
- Derm & Plastic Surgery Clinic is a specialized Clinic for Aesthetic Dermatology and Plastic Surgery. We can address every aesthetic and medical problem, you might have, regardless of the degree of difficulty and we guarantee for the effectiveness of our treatments and outstanding results.
- In Derm & Plastic Surgery Clinic, we invest on innovative laser technology and we do have all types of lasers, plus the expertise in their use with multiple evidence-based medical protocols. We can help you regain spotless legs, in just a few sessions. After the first consultation and evaluation of the problem, we can suggest the most appropriate treatment for you or the most effective combination of treatments, which give fastest results and can solve, even the most difficult problems.
- In our Clinic, sclerotherapy is performed by doctors, with many years of professional experience and expertise, who are highly trained and are experts in this field and only approved materials, that fulfil the European safety standards (CE) and (FDA) American standards are utilized. Treatments are done with absolute transparency and safety and you will be given, the barcode of the product, used in your treatment, which ensures authenticity.
- In Derm & Plastic Surgery Clinic, we offer high quality medical aesthetic treatments, with state-of-art technology and authentic equipment, at affordable prices.
- Exercise systematically, to strengthen leg muscles and stimulate blood circulation. Walking and running are ideal.
- Take care of your weight, so that it does not exert too much pressure on your feet.
- Avoid prolonged standing, but also sitting and leg crossing in the office, for many hours.
- When lying down, make sure your feet are lifted up.
- Avoid very tight clothing, which exert excessive pressure on the waist, pelvis and leg area.
- Avoid very high heels. Lower ones, contribute to the stimulation of the calves’ muscles and to better blood circulation.
- Do not use regularly massage creams that cause hyperemia.
- Prefer hair removal methods with Laser and not waxing, which injuries superficial skin vessels.
COST – PRICES
The price of sclerotherapy starts at 150 euros and the price of Laser treatment also starts at 150 euros.
Call us to find out about the price of treatment you are interested in or our special prices for combined treatments.
I had laser treatments done, in this Clinic and I almost got rid of all these small vessels, after six sessions. They are doing their work appropriately and they...
For the last 15 years I’ve been working in a business, where I’m standing too many hours per day. As a result, small vessels were appeared on my legs, which often made me feel pain...More Testimonials
I visited Dr Zografou and with the proper laser treatment, I managed to get back to my job, with no one realising the problem that had arisen in my pregnancy...
During my pregnancy, I noticed the appearance of varicose veins on my lower legs. In my job, I have to wear a specific uniform and these vessels would have been visible...More Testimonials
I combined laser and sclerotherapy as they have suggested to me, in order to have the fastest and best results. It was the best treatment by the best doctors!...
I had a long – lasting problem with varicose veins, until I took the decision to get rid of them. I combined laser and sclerotherapy as they have suggested to me, in order to have the fastest and best...More Testimonials
Sign-up for our newsletter
and be the first to receive our latest offers and news