Treat them effectively,
once and for all
WHAT THE SCARS ARE?
Scars and marks are problems that affect both sexes. They are created due to dermal damage, after an injury or a surgical operation. Poor healing may result in unsightly or disfiguring scars. The presence of scars, on the face or body, may have a negative effect on a person’s life, as they distort their appearance.
- Atrophic scars. These are sunken scars, with a pitted appearance, due to extensive tissue loss, in their underline structure.
- Hypertrophic scars. These are raised, prominent scars of red colour, which look like keloids, but their main difference from keloids, is that they develop within the original borders of the incision or skin injury. They are created, because of overproduction of collagen topically.
- Keloids. These are hypertrophic scars, which extend beyond the original wound borders. The development of keloids is mainly related to the idiosyncrasy of each person, as there are persons, with a higher tendency to develop keloids, compared to others. Keloids may develop on any part of the body, but usually they are found on specific areas, like the chest, the back, the shoulders and the ear lobes. Another decisive factor is age, as children and the elderly, have a lower tendency to develop keloids. Also, racial characteristics play a role, for instance Africans have a higher tendency to develop keloids.
There is a general belief that a plastic surgeon can make a scar disappear. A lot of people think that by a special technique, we can make a scar invisible. This is wrong and we should know, that wherever there is an incision on the skin, there would be also a scar. Plastic surgery on a scar is not what most people think, that for example, suturing can be performed in such a way, that no visible mark will remain, as if the original wound has never existed. There is no “magic” way for eliminating scars.
What a surgeon tries to do is to close the skin under optimal conditions, which is alongside the natural skin lines, without tension, using plastic surgery techniques and special sutures. Also, we try to “camouflage” the incisions, if possible, repositioning them in the right orientation and hiding them in areas, where they will not be so visible.
Scar correction is recommended, after the wound healing period has been completed, so that scars have reached their final appearance. This occurs 6 to 12 months after the original skin injury. However, in the case of a very serious functional or disfiguring problem, correction of the scar can be attempted immediately.
In order to correct scars, we use invasive and non – invasive methods, depending on the scar type and on each patient’s wishes. Non-invasive treatments include Dermapen, Fractional Laser, as well as steroid injections in the case of keloids.
Dermapen is the most advanced device of automated, vibrating, fractional microneedling. It is equipped with a sterile, disposable head, which delivers up to 1300 vertical stamps per second into the skin. These microinjuries in the skin stimulate fibroblasts, in order to naturally produce collagen and elastin (CIT – Collagen Induction Therapy), thus resulting in skin regeneration.
- Fractional Laser
It is one of the most advanced therapies of Cosmetic Dermatology and the latest one in laser technology, for skin rejuvenation. The Fractional Laser treatment, offers substantial regeneration and collagen renewal. After the laser is activated, its central beam is divided into many very small rays, which selectively “scan” the surface of the skin and target only the problematic areas. These rays, also act in the deeper layers of the skin and stimulate the fibroblasts to produce natural collagen and elastin, offering skin rejuvenation from within.
- Intralesional steroid injection
Injectable steroids are injected into the scar area and limit the inflammatory reaction, thus reducing the size and improving the appearance of hypertrophic scars and keloids. The injections are administered once a month and the number of sessions depends on how the patient responds to the treatment.
A correction must take place, when the patient is well informed and has realistic expectations and certainly 6 – 12 months after the injury or the initial surgery, from which the scar developed. The technique, which is chosen for correction, depends on the scar characteristics and the body area. The techniques used more often are:
- Removal of the old scar and resuturing
The surgeon removes the old scar and resutures the area under better conditions, with specific plastic surgery techniques and special sutures. In most cases, the scar is sutured in layers, with absorbable sutures under the skin surface, which will result in better healing.
- Re – orientation of a scar
This is achieved by moving neighbouring skin, in order to change the orientation of the scar, so that is less visible. Also it can be done, in order to free up previously shrunken skin, which restricts mobility.
- Moving a scar where it is not visible.
Sometimes it is possible, to move a scar in a nearby area, where it is covered or it is less visible. Of course, these cases are not many, but when it could be done, is an ideal way of treating scars.
- Scar modification, so that it looks like a natural skin crease
Sometimes it is possible, by changing the orientation of a scar, to make it look like a natural crease on the skin or look like a wrinkle. In such cases, the scar is aesthetically more acceptable and is less noticeable.
- The minimally invasive methods, we use in Derm & Plastic Surgery Clinic, the state of art equipment, the latest laser technology devices and the experience of Dr. Zografou, as an International Leading Expert, guarantee you an impressive result. Every patient is unique, and we use multiple different techniques in our Clinic for scar correction, in order to offer to our patients a perfect result, both aesthetically and functionally.
- Dr. Zografou’s many years of experience in Cosmetic / Laser Dermatology and her further specialization in the field of mesenchymal cells medical regeneration , combined with the latest therapeutic protocols, which are used in the Clinic, guarantee you an amazing aesthetic result.
- In our Clinic, laser treatment is regarded a medical procedure and therefore laser scar correction in our Clinic, is done exclusively by specialized dermatologists, who have huge experience in the field of lasers and can solve, even the most difficult problems. This is the key, to a very effective and safe treatment.
- In Derm & Plastic Surgery Clinic, we always offer the most innovative and high-quality medical services, at affordable prices for our patients.
Which factors affect the wound healing?
- The skin quality of each person
- The age (people who are very young, like children heal better)
- The area of the body, as some areas develop better scars, while others (like the chest or the back) develop worse scars, even on the same person
- The scar orientation. Scars along the natural skin lines heal better and are less visible, than those who cross them
COST – PRICES
Call us, in order to find out the cost of the treatment you are interested in or our special prices for combined treatments.
she removed with laser, one colleague’s mole on his nose. When I saw how nicely his removal was done, without any scar, I decided to visit her. I immediately realized that she has a lot of experience in moles...
I had visited a local Dermatologist, in order to remove three moles on my back. Unfortunately, the scars he left, were big and ugly. It would have been better to have my moles on my back...More Testimonials
What impressed me and made me trust Derm & Plastic Surgery Clinic, is that they are dealing with the scar problem, not only with a single method, but with a combination of methods and unique...
I am 29 years old and in a few months’ time, I will get married. We have been talking for a long time with my wife to be, that I have to do something for the acne scars on my face, before our wedding day...More Testimonials
Dr Zografou, except for being an incredible surgeon, make her patients feel comfortable, as she is willing to listen to their needs and gives them time to have all their questions answered thoroughly...
My friend was visiting your Clinic for hair loss treatments and he informed me that you are also doing scar corrections. I decided to book an appointment, as I could not bear seeing a nasty scar on my arm...More Testimonials
Sign-up for our newsletter
and be the first to receive our latest offers and news